If you're thinking of strenuous activity that involves legs and arms work out, this activity is perfect for you. Last weekend my colleagues and I went to Cubao, Quezon City to try out the indoor wall climbing. At first I was thinking, "Oh, this is cheese balls! I'll be bored later." Then after reading the standard procedures and climbing signals, I was like, "Uh oh! Information overload! Do I really have to memorize all this?!"
Standard Procedures and Climbing Signals:
1. After checking your carabiner locked into your harness, approach the climbing wall and shout <CLIMBING!>
2. Wait for your belayer to respond with <CLIMB ON!>
3. Shout <TENSION!> if your rope is too loose.
4. Shout <SLACK!> if your rope is too tight, pulling you off balance.
5. Shout <FALLING!> if you feel like letting go mid way up the wall.
6. Signal your belayer with <DOWN!> when you have reached the top.
7. Wait for your belayer to tension your rope
8. Wait for your belayer to shout <LET GO!>
9. Stay facing the wall, gently kicking away from the wall to prevent hitting your knees on the holds.
10. Enjoy the ride down :)
After reading the procedures I became nervous, Kuya Frank (our guide) was cool enough to make us feel comfortable. He introduced us to his partners named Grigri and Carabiner. Grigri is a assisted braking belay device manufactured by Petzl designed to help secure rock-climbing, rappelling, and rope-acrobatic activities while Carabiner is a metal loop with a spring loaded gate used to quickly and reversibly connect components in safety-critical systems.
Kuya Frank said we have to wear climbing shoes that is 1 size smaller than our original size. I'm size 8 so he gave me size 7.
shoe size matters
After learning everything that we have to know (belaying, climbing, safety precautions, etc.) it's time to power up!
Just kidding! I climbed like a ninja too, after 5 rounds of going up and down (different wall angles), I took a nap in the dressing room. My colleague was quick enough to take this photo! LOL!
wall climbing 170php
climbing shoes 40php (or you can bring your own)
25 West Road Corner North Road, Cubao
Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines
Are you ready to power up? I like reading your comments.
Happy Labor day!
Please check my new site at Pinay Nomad